First, have your child memorize the Student Creed. Even though they may not understand all the words, the seeds of these ideas will be planted, and as the children gain in comprehension, the value expressed by the creed will have taken root.
Second, use the Student Creed as a tool for discussion. In talking with your child, put the ideas expressed in the Creed into examples t hat are relevant for their level of understanding. Use situations that are within the family, or with their friends, to illustrate these points. With older children, you might ask, “HOW do you intend to develop yourself in a positive manner?” or “WHAT do you intend to avoid that would reduce your mental growth or physical health?”
Refer to the Student Creed often…the code of behavior that it describes is important for people of all ages!
STUDENT CREED - Tang Soo Do
1. I intend to use Tang Soo Do to develop myself in a positive manner and avoid anything that would limit or reduce my mental growth or my physical health.
2. I intend to develop self-discipline in order to bring out the best in myself and others.
3. I intend to use what I learn in class constructively and defensively to help myself and my fellow man and never to be abusive or offensive.
STUDENT CREED - Lil' Dragons
1. I will try my best.
2. I will listen to my parents and teachers.
3. I will use karate to help others.